Tenants' FAQ's

Are there any other costs I need to ‘budget’ for in addition to the monthly rental payments?

  • Reserving a property (holding deposit)- Equivalent to 1 weeks rent which can be put towards first months rent if agreed
  • Tenancy deposit (by law this secured in government scheme, refundable at end of tenancy)- 5 weeks rent and is taken along with first months rent
  • Utility bills including water, and council tax

Are utility bills included in the rent?

Unless specified, the tenant will be responsible for all utility bills including water and council tax

Who do I deal with, the landlord or agent?

The lettings agent will carry out your property viewings, references, agreements and the agent will be the main point of contact for any repairs or queries if the property is ‘fully managed’ by the agent.

Who is responsible for repairs?

If tenants are responsible for breakages, this would be deducted from the deposit unless otherwise agreed. A tenant should report repairs as soon as they occur.

Should I expect visits from the landlord or agent?

You would be given at least 24 hours notice for inspections to ensure the property is well kept.

Can I rent a room to a flatmate or flatshare?

As per your agreement, the names of all occupiers must be declared on the AST agreement. If a tenant sublets to a flatshare that is not detailed on the AST, this would be a breach of terms whereby the property tenants are jointly and severally responsible - those listed on the agreement are liable to any breach of agreement.

Can I give notice at any time?

If you leave earlier than the agreed end of tenancy, you will be liable to pay the rent until the end of the tenancy.

If repairs are delayed, can I withhold paying my rent?

No, witholding rent for any reason is a breach of the tenancy agreement got which the landlord can take you to court unless otherwise agreed with the landlord. Please ensure you report your repairs in writing to avoid any miscommunication.

When do I get my deposit back?

By law, tenants deposits are held by custodial deposit schemes to insure deposits. After the check out inspection is carried out at the end of the tenancy, the deposit will be returned deducting any costs for damages which would be reflected in an inventory report from the beginning of the tenancy.

What do you require for the referencing process?

Before the tenancy agreement is drawn up, references will be carried out including a credit check. You would need to fill out the tenancy application form as well as providing the following:

  • Proof of address
  • Proof of identity
  • 6 months bank statements
  • 6 months pay slips as proof of income
  • Occupation details
  • Previous landlord or agency details if applicable
Back to top